The amount of people killed on Arizona’s roads has taken its first jump since 2006, the Arizona Department of Transportation said in a press release.
In 2011, 825 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes in Arizona, up from 759 in 2012, marking an 8.7 percent increase.
Motorcycle fatalities saw a 55 percent increase, with 132 killed in 2011 and 85 killed in 2011.
“Last year’s figure is a sober reminder for all of us to concentrate on safe driving,” said ADOT Director John Halikowski in a release. “That means buckling up, maintaining safe speeds, never driving while impaired and, in today’s world, avoiding distracted driving.”
The worst year for fatalities on Arizona roads was 2006, when 1,301 people were killed.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets