Single people are finding jobs much faster than married job hunters, the Department of Labor said.
Singles lost five million jobs in the recession and have recovered 90 percent of them. Married people lost six million jobs and just 22 percent came back. And for better or worse, employers might look at it like this:
“Somebody who has a large family or life might be away because of sick kids or mommy-daddy issues,” said Michael Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing in Phoenix.
Hayes said one reason single people are getting a leg up on married people with kids for jobs is that singles are more mobile and willing to relocate.
“If you’re trying to transfer a family of four in from Arizona for a job, you’re going to have to pay relocation fees and then their house is going to be upside down,” he said. “So how are you going deal with that?”
Another factor in hiring singles is age — married job hunters tend to be older than singles.
“Most of the job creation has been entirely on the low end and labor intensive,” said Hayes. “So, if you’re a younger person, obviously you’re able to do that, whereas somebody who is 50 years old, are they going to go into a warehouse and stock 1,500 cases in a couple of hours?”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.