Single people are finding jobs much faster than married job hunters, the Department of Labor said.
Singles lost five million jobs in the recession and have recovered 90 percent of them. Married people lost six million jobs and just 22 percent came back. And for better or worse, employers might look at it like this:
“Somebody who has a large family or life might be away because of sick kids or mommy-daddy issues,” said Michael Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing in Phoenix.
Hayes said one reason single people are getting a leg up on married people with kids for jobs is that singles are more mobile and willing to relocate.
“If you’re trying to transfer a family of four in from Arizona for a job, you’re going to have to pay relocation fees and then their house is going to be upside down,” he said. “So how are you going deal with that?”
Another factor in hiring singles is age — married job hunters tend to be older than singles.
“Most of the job creation has been entirely on the low end and labor intensive,” said Hayes. “So, if you’re a younger person, obviously you’re able to do that, whereas somebody who is 50 years old, are they going to go into a warehouse and stock 1,500 cases in a couple of hours?”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life