With classes starting at Arizona State University next week, many students are back on campus and may be ready to party on Mill Ave. this weekend.
ASU police will be there as well.
“Mill Avenue is handled by Tempe police,” said ASU Assistant Police Chief Jim Hardina. “However, we’re working with them on a DUI task force this weekend. Next weekend, we are actually having an officer assigned to their alcohol enforcement detail.”
Hardina said that ASU police want students to have a good time, but they also want to keep underage people out of bars and to make sure those who are out are not drinking too much.
Hardina said there are several things that students can do to keep themselves safe while they’re out on the town.
“Don’t be paranoid, but use common sense,” he said. “If you are aware of your surroundings, use the buddy system, let people know what you’re doing and where you’re going and you can really increase your safety.”
Once school starts next week, ASU police officers will be out enforcing traffic, pedestrian and bike laws around the Tempe campus.
“The first week will be warnings and education,” said Hardina. “We just want to educate the new students on what the laws are in Arizona. Starting the second week of school, and on throughout the semester, it will be enforcement of the pedestrian and bike violations.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl