GLENDALE, Ariz. — Arizona Cardinals fans heading to Friday’s preseason game against the Oakland Raiders will notice some new things inside University of Phoenix Stadium.
One change is when a coach throws the challenge flag, fans will see what the referee sees.
“One of the additions that the NFL has instituted at stadiums this year is that, when the referee goes ‘under the hood’ [to watch a replay of a play that is being challenged], that same feed will be up on our video board,” said John Drum, Cardinals vice president of operations. “What the referees are seeing, the fans will be able to see inside the stadium.”
Drum said the team is looking forward to the addition because fans will no longer have to wait for the call.
“This new addition by the league is something that we welcome,” he said. “I think it’s something that the fans will also enjoy. There was always kind of that not knowing what was going on, not knowing what the referee was seeing.
“Certainly, the fans saw the play in person when it was happening, but to see the replay close up is really going to be a great addition to the game day experience at University of Phoenix Stadium.”
Drum said the Cardinals have added message boards in the corners of the stadium that will give the fans more information.
“Scores from around the league,” he said. “When we get to the regular season, it will have the all-important fantasy football stats to find out how teams are doing.”
One thing that won’t be new Friday is a sellout crowd, No. 64. “That’s a tremendous show of support in the Valley,” Drum said. The team has sold each every home game since its debut in the stadium.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick