GLENDALE, Ariz. — Arizona Cardinals fans heading to Friday’s preseason game against the Oakland Raiders will notice some new things inside University of Phoenix Stadium.
One change is when a coach throws the challenge flag, fans will see what the referee sees.
“One of the additions that the NFL has instituted at stadiums this year is that, when the referee goes ‘under the hood’ [to watch a replay of a play that is being challenged], that same feed will be up on our video board,” said John Drum, Cardinals vice president of operations. “What the referees are seeing, the fans will be able to see inside the stadium.”
Drum said the team is looking forward to the addition because fans will no longer have to wait for the call.
“This new addition by the league is something that we welcome,” he said. “I think it’s something that the fans will also enjoy. There was always kind of that not knowing what was going on, not knowing what the referee was seeing.
“Certainly, the fans saw the play in person when it was happening, but to see the replay close up is really going to be a great addition to the game day experience at University of Phoenix Stadium.”
Drum said the Cardinals have added message boards in the corners of the stadium that will give the fans more information.
“Scores from around the league,” he said. “When we get to the regular season, it will have the all-important fantasy football stats to find out how teams are doing.”
One thing that won’t be new Friday is a sellout crowd, No. 64. “That’s a tremendous show of support in the Valley,” Drum said. The team has sold each every home game since its debut in the stadium.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode