GLENDALE, Ariz. — Arizona Cardinals fans heading to Friday’s preseason game against the Oakland Raiders will notice some new things inside University of Phoenix Stadium.
One change is when a coach throws the challenge flag, fans will see what the referee sees.
“One of the additions that the NFL has instituted at stadiums this year is that, when the referee goes ‘under the hood’ [to watch a replay of a play that is being challenged], that same feed will be up on our video board,” said John Drum, Cardinals vice president of operations. “What the referees are seeing, the fans will be able to see inside the stadium.”
Drum said the team is looking forward to the addition because fans will no longer have to wait for the call.
“This new addition by the league is something that we welcome,” he said. “I think it’s something that the fans will also enjoy. There was always kind of that not knowing what was going on, not knowing what the referee was seeing.
“Certainly, the fans saw the play in person when it was happening, but to see the replay close up is really going to be a great addition to the game day experience at University of Phoenix Stadium.”
Drum said the Cardinals have added message boards in the corners of the stadium that will give the fans more information.
“Scores from around the league,” he said. “When we get to the regular season, it will have the all-important fantasy football stats to find out how teams are doing.”
One thing that won’t be new Friday is a sellout crowd, No. 64. “That’s a tremendous show of support in the Valley,” Drum said. The team has sold each every home game since its debut in the stadium.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier