GLENDALE, Ariz. — Arizona Cardinals fans heading to Friday’s preseason game against the Oakland Raiders will notice some new things inside University of Phoenix Stadium.
One change is when a coach throws the challenge flag, fans will see what the referee sees.
“One of the additions that the NFL has instituted at stadiums this year is that, when the referee goes ‘under the hood’ [to watch a replay of a play that is being challenged], that same feed will be up on our video board,” said John Drum, Cardinals vice president of operations. “What the referees are seeing, the fans will be able to see inside the stadium.”
Drum said the team is looking forward to the addition because fans will no longer have to wait for the call.
“This new addition by the league is something that we welcome,” he said. “I think it’s something that the fans will also enjoy. There was always kind of that not knowing what was going on, not knowing what the referee was seeing.
“Certainly, the fans saw the play in person when it was happening, but to see the replay close up is really going to be a great addition to the game day experience at University of Phoenix Stadium.”
Drum said the Cardinals have added message boards in the corners of the stadium that will give the fans more information.
“Scores from around the league,” he said. “When we get to the regular season, it will have the all-important fantasy football stats to find out how teams are doing.”
One thing that won’t be new Friday is a sellout crowd, No. 64. “That’s a tremendous show of support in the Valley,” Drum said. The team has sold each every home game since its debut in the stadium.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees