Arizona State University student and Team Canada diver Riley McCormick said he was “wowed” by the recent Olympic Games in London.
“The wow factor was definitely up there on this one,” the 20-year-old diver told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck Show, comparing this Olympic experience to the one he had in Beijing in 2008.
McCormick, who finished 11th overall, said the opening and closing ceremonies in London were better for him because, frankly, he could understand what was going on due to the ceremony being in English.
“You’re immersed in massive stadium with thousands and thousands of people,” he said. “It was a really cool feeling.”
While walking in the ceremonies among the likes of LeBron James and Roger Federer, the Canadian-born McCormick said the best part of the London Games was meeting fellow ASU great James Harden.
“I’d always been following him because of the ASU relationship,” he said.
McCormick is due to return to Tempe next week to begin his junior year, where he will focus on taking the NCAA diving crown (he was a runner-up last year) and earning his degree.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier