Arizona State University student and Team Canada diver Riley McCormick said he was “wowed” by the recent Olympic Games in London.
“The wow factor was definitely up there on this one,” the 20-year-old diver told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck Show, comparing this Olympic experience to the one he had in Beijing in 2008.
McCormick, who finished 11th overall, said the opening and closing ceremonies in London were better for him because, frankly, he could understand what was going on due to the ceremony being in English.
“You’re immersed in massive stadium with thousands and thousands of people,” he said. “It was a really cool feeling.”
While walking in the ceremonies among the likes of LeBron James and Roger Federer, the Canadian-born McCormick said the best part of the London Games was meeting fellow ASU great James Harden.
“I’d always been following him because of the ASU relationship,” he said.
McCormick is due to return to Tempe next week to begin his junior year, where he will focus on taking the NCAA diving crown (he was a runner-up last year) and earning his degree.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees