Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton got more than he bargained for while practicing with the Phoenix Mercury on Monday.
Stanton was participating in a drill and went up for a rebound with the Mercury’s Nakia Sanford. When he came down, Stanton had fractured his nose in two places.
“When they put me on the practice court, it was not fake,” said Stanton. “It was a real practice, they went full speed and I’ve got the battle scars to prove it.”
Stanton was treated by the Mercury’s training staff before being taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital for a CT scan to confirm the break.
“Playing with the Phoenix Mercury was an incredible experience despite receiving a broken nose,” Stanton said in a press release. “As a basketball fan and player, I have great respect for our hometown team, and these kinds of injuries are just part of the game – they’re battle wounds. I had a great time today and I can’t wait to watch the first game of the Mercury back in action on Aug. 19.”
Stanton will meet with a doctor soon to determine if any more care is necessary.
A video of the incident is posted below.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.