Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton got more than he bargained for while practicing with the Phoenix Mercury on Monday.
Stanton was participating in a drill and went up for a rebound with the Mercury’s Nakia Sanford. When he came down, Stanton had fractured his nose in two places.
“When they put me on the practice court, it was not fake,” said Stanton. “It was a real practice, they went full speed and I’ve got the battle scars to prove it.”
Stanton was treated by the Mercury’s training staff before being taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital for a CT scan to confirm the break.
“Playing with the Phoenix Mercury was an incredible experience despite receiving a broken nose,” Stanton said in a press release. “As a basketball fan and player, I have great respect for our hometown team, and these kinds of injuries are just part of the game – they’re battle wounds. I had a great time today and I can’t wait to watch the first game of the Mercury back in action on Aug. 19.”
Stanton will meet with a doctor soon to determine if any more care is necessary.
A video of the incident is posted below.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick