Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton got more than he bargained for while practicing with the Phoenix Mercury on Monday.
Stanton was participating in a drill and went up for a rebound with the Mercury’s Nakia Sanford. When he came down, Stanton had fractured his nose in two places.
“When they put me on the practice court, it was not fake,” said Stanton. “It was a real practice, they went full speed and I’ve got the battle scars to prove it.”
Stanton was treated by the Mercury’s training staff before being taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital for a CT scan to confirm the break.
“Playing with the Phoenix Mercury was an incredible experience despite receiving a broken nose,” Stanton said in a press release. “As a basketball fan and player, I have great respect for our hometown team, and these kinds of injuries are just part of the game – they’re battle wounds. I had a great time today and I can’t wait to watch the first game of the Mercury back in action on Aug. 19.”
Stanton will meet with a doctor soon to determine if any more care is necessary.
A video of the incident is posted below.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development