SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -— The alpha female of a Mexican Gray Wolf pack in New Mexico has been spared her life after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agreed to let Scottsdale based Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center provide permanent sanctuary to the animal.
At last official count, there were only 58 Mexican Gray Wolves in the wild, making them one of the most endangered mammals in North America.
The wolf is the alpha female of the Fox Mountain Pack in southwestern New Mexico, and has four puppies. USFWS personnel are currently working to capture her.
The puppies will not be taken from the pack, as they will be cared for by their father, said Linda Searles, Founder and Executive Director of Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center.
Fish and Wildlife officials signed an order to shoot the wolf on Thursday, which was accused of killing too many cows. The order was rescinded Friday after SWCC stepped in.
This is the first time since 2007 that the agency planned to kill a wolf because of predatory attacks on livestock.
The rancher who lost the cattle has been compensated.
SWCC is the only wildlife facility in Arizona capable of handling large mammals such as wolves, and serves as a holding facility for the USFWS’s Mexican Gray Wolf Recovery Program.
“We’re happy we could find a solution to this situation, other than killing the animal, because there are so few of these wolves left,” said Searles. “We will continue to work with Fish and Wildlife through the Mexican Gray Wolf Recovery Program to maintain the species, which is an important part of our ecosystem and our Western heritage.”
The Nina Mason Pulliam Foundation will provide funds to construct an enclosure for the female wolf, but Searles said the organization needs donations to help it care for the animal.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.