PHOENIX – Weather permitting, stargazers could have a treat this weekend.
The Perseid meteor shower should send shooting stars through the sky starting around midnight on Saturday.
“The meteor shower is known as the Perseids, eminating from a constelation called Persius the hero,” said Dr. Sky. “Simply look high into the northeastern part of the sky after midnight until sunrise Sunday morning, and what we should get to see, according to the space scientists, are maybe upwards of 80 to 100 of these shooting stars per hour.”
Dr. Sky said the shower is created by debris from the extinct Swift-Tuttle Comet.
“This happens to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest events that people can watch in the nighttime sky, and with the naked eye,” he said.
To see it best, he suggests getting away from the city lights. If you’re in the East Valley, the Lost Dutchman State Park near Apache Junction might be the best viewing spot. From the South Valley, head south into desert areas between Phoenix and Tucson. If you’re in the West Valley, head west away from the city and away from Interstate 10. In the North Valley, there are plenty of dark areas north of the city lights where you can get a good look.
While the best viewing time is between 3:00 a.m. and sunrise on Sunday morning, Dr. Sky said we should see should see shooting stars from the shower through the end of the month.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food