PHOENIX – Weather permitting, stargazers could have a treat this weekend.
The Perseid meteor shower should send shooting stars through the sky starting around midnight on Saturday.
“The meteor shower is known as the Perseids, eminating from a constelation called Persius the hero,” said Dr. Sky. “Simply look high into the northeastern part of the sky after midnight until sunrise Sunday morning, and what we should get to see, according to the space scientists, are maybe upwards of 80 to 100 of these shooting stars per hour.”
Dr. Sky said the shower is created by debris from the extinct Swift-Tuttle Comet.
“This happens to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest events that people can watch in the nighttime sky, and with the naked eye,” he said.
To see it best, he suggests getting away from the city lights. If you’re in the East Valley, the Lost Dutchman State Park near Apache Junction might be the best viewing spot. From the South Valley, head south into desert areas between Phoenix and Tucson. If you’re in the West Valley, head west away from the city and away from Interstate 10. In the North Valley, there are plenty of dark areas north of the city lights where you can get a good look.
While the best viewing time is between 3:00 a.m. and sunrise on Sunday morning, Dr. Sky said we should see should see shooting stars from the shower through the end of the month.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever