PHOENIX — Metrocenter mall isn’t what it used to be, but police said it’s making a comeback.
“It hasn’t always had the reputation that it probably has now,” said Phoenix Police Commander Chuck Miller.
He recalls being a teenager and heading to the mall, near Interstate 17 and Dunlap Avenue, after football games and on weekends. “It was the place to be,” said Miller.
Over the years, as larger anchor businesses closed their doors, smaller stores followed suit.
The area around Metrocenter has been plagued with crime and people feared gang activity. Slowly but predictably, shoppers headed elsewhere to spend their dollars.
“My message is, if you haven’t been you need to go, because it’s on the right track,” Miller said.
He said violent crime in the area has dropped by over 25 percent since 2007, and car thefts have dropped by 80 percent.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees