PHOENIX — Metrocenter mall isn’t what it used to be, but police said it’s making a comeback.
“It hasn’t always had the reputation that it probably has now,” said Phoenix Police Commander Chuck Miller.
He recalls being a teenager and heading to the mall, near Interstate 17 and Dunlap Avenue, after football games and on weekends. “It was the place to be,” said Miller.
Over the years, as larger anchor businesses closed their doors, smaller stores followed suit.
The area around Metrocenter has been plagued with crime and people feared gang activity. Slowly but predictably, shoppers headed elsewhere to spend their dollars.
“My message is, if you haven’t been you need to go, because it’s on the right track,” Miller said.
He said violent crime in the area has dropped by over 25 percent since 2007, and car thefts have dropped by 80 percent.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas