PHOENIX — Each year that the Olympics roll around, parents with almost no athletic ability have visions of gold medals hanging around their child’s neck.
Dr. Suneil Jain has plenty of experience dealing with the best of the best. One of his clients is former Suns star Steve Nash, who is among the finest athletes to ever suit up in the NBA.
When it comes to athletes genetics help, but it also depends on the person.
“It’s a combination of both,” said Suneil. “You have to have the right genes in terms of lung capacity and muscle strength, but people have the ability to turn genes on and off, so athletic success is partly genes but also environment and lifestyle.”
Being the offspring of a superstar athlete doesn’t guarantee athletic ability, however. Suneil said many well-known athletes have overcome their genetic limitations with simply a solid diet and motivation.
“It motivates the person to achieve something and that is really good for the psyche and health.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food