PHOENIX — While many for-profit colleges are seeing fewer students, one Valley university is seeing explosive growth.
Grand Canyon University will have 44,400 students in the fall, up 39,500 from last year. The majority is online, with about 7,000 students on the campus near 35th Avenue and Camelback Road.
University President Brian Mueller said there are numerous issues with the education system that drive students to GCU.
“The average students pays about $7,800 in tuition each year,” he said. “At private universities, that number can run $30,000 to $50,000 in tuition. Another draw is lower class sizes and no lecture hall with 500 to 600 students.”
Mueller expects to have 15,000 students at the GCU campus within three years.
The university has been undergoing a major makeover, complete with a state-of-the-art basketball arena, new dorms and a parking garage.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night