PHOENIX — While many for-profit colleges are seeing fewer students, one Valley university is seeing explosive growth.
Grand Canyon University will have 44,400 students in the fall, up 39,500 from last year. The majority is online, with about 7,000 students on the campus near 35th Avenue and Camelback Road.
University President Brian Mueller said there are numerous issues with the education system that drive students to GCU.
“The average students pays about $7,800 in tuition each year,” he said. “At private universities, that number can run $30,000 to $50,000 in tuition. Another draw is lower class sizes and no lecture hall with 500 to 600 students.”
Mueller expects to have 15,000 students at the GCU campus within three years.
The university has been undergoing a major makeover, complete with a state-of-the-art basketball arena, new dorms and a parking garage.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier