Another airline has announced that it plans to begin service from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
In a press release, the airport and Frontier Airlines said the airline will begin service at the airport on Nov. 15.
The airline will only fly to its hub, Denver, meaning that Arizona travelers now have another option when planning travel, both domestically and internationally.
“The business travel market is something we really haven’t been able to do,” said Marc Garcia with the Mesa Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Frontier offers that opportunity. It also offers some connections for international travelers, with just one connecting flight.”
According to BestFares.com CEO Tom Parsons, business travelers look to have a minimum of two flights per day, meaning the new route could take some time to develop into a commute.
“Business travelers like to have at least two or three flights per day,” he said. “It’s really more of a leisure route. If they see the response is good, they’ll probably add a second or third [flight], at which time maybe business travel will take more advantage of the new Mesa [flight].”
Frontier is in its 19th year of operation and said it looks forward to serving the East Valley.
“Seeing that Denver is the top air travel destination from Phoenix, this expansion into the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport allows us to further differentiate our product offering, providing greater convenience and access to customers living and working in the East Valley community,” Frontier Vice President, Network and Revenue, Greg Aretakis said in the release. “We have received tremendous community support and look forward to bringing our high value, low fare service to east valley travelers who currently have few customer friendly options.”
Parsons said he expects fares to get more competitive and expects the airport to keep growing as it adds more flights to western states.
Allegiant and Spirit Airlines already serve the airport.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.