Another airline has announced that it plans to begin service from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
In a press release, the airport and Frontier Airlines said the airline will begin service at the airport on Nov. 15.
The airline will only fly to its hub, Denver, meaning that Arizona travelers now have another option when planning travel, both domestically and internationally.
“The business travel market is something we really haven’t been able to do,” said Marc Garcia with the Mesa Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Frontier offers that opportunity. It also offers some connections for international travelers, with just one connecting flight.”
According to BestFares.com CEO Tom Parsons, business travelers look to have a minimum of two flights per day, meaning the new route could take some time to develop into a commute.
“Business travelers like to have at least two or three flights per day,” he said. “It’s really more of a leisure route. If they see the response is good, they’ll probably add a second or third [flight], at which time maybe business travel will take more advantage of the new Mesa [flight].”
Frontier is in its 19th year of operation and said it looks forward to serving the East Valley.
“Seeing that Denver is the top air travel destination from Phoenix, this expansion into the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport allows us to further differentiate our product offering, providing greater convenience and access to customers living and working in the East Valley community,” Frontier Vice President, Network and Revenue, Greg Aretakis said in the release. “We have received tremendous community support and look forward to bringing our high value, low fare service to east valley travelers who currently have few customer friendly options.”
Parsons said he expects fares to get more competitive and expects the airport to keep growing as it adds more flights to western states.
Allegiant and Spirit Airlines already serve the airport.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees