Another airline has announced that it plans to begin service from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
In a press release, the airport and Frontier Airlines said the airline will begin service at the airport on Nov. 15.
The airline will only fly to its hub, Denver, meaning that Arizona travelers now have another option when planning travel, both domestically and internationally.
“The business travel market is something we really haven’t been able to do,” said Marc Garcia with the Mesa Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Frontier offers that opportunity. It also offers some connections for international travelers, with just one connecting flight.”
According to BestFares.com CEO Tom Parsons, business travelers look to have a minimum of two flights per day, meaning the new route could take some time to develop into a commute.
“Business travelers like to have at least two or three flights per day,” he said. “It’s really more of a leisure route. If they see the response is good, they’ll probably add a second or third [flight], at which time maybe business travel will take more advantage of the new Mesa [flight].”
Frontier is in its 19th year of operation and said it looks forward to serving the East Valley.
“Seeing that Denver is the top air travel destination from Phoenix, this expansion into the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport allows us to further differentiate our product offering, providing greater convenience and access to customers living and working in the East Valley community,” Frontier Vice President, Network and Revenue, Greg Aretakis said in the release. “We have received tremendous community support and look forward to bringing our high value, low fare service to east valley travelers who currently have few customer friendly options.”
Parsons said he expects fares to get more competitive and expects the airport to keep growing as it adds more flights to western states.
Allegiant and Spirit Airlines already serve the airport.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode