Late Friday night Grand Canyon National Park rangers
received word that a 19 year-old male hiker had gotten
injured in a rock fall that occured in an area of the
canyon known as the “Box”.
The incident happened during a thunderstorm in the steep
canyon approximately nine miles below the North Rim on the
North Kaibab Trail.
The man was brought to Phantom Ranch by fellow hikers.
Park rangers responded and immediately began to provide
Rangers requested a helicopter for transport, but due to
weather it was unable to respond until Saturday morning.
The patient was transported in critical condition to the
Flagstaff Medical Center by Guardian air ambulance at
approximately 6:00 a.m.
The weather forecast calls for additional thunderstorms in
the Grand Canyon area over the next several days.
Hikers are advised to be especially cautious during
storm activity and should take precautions based on the
areas they are hiking in, as well as weather conditions.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise