Late Friday night Grand Canyon National Park rangers
received word that a 19 year-old male hiker had gotten
injured in a rock fall that occured in an area of the
canyon known as the “Box”.
The incident happened during a thunderstorm in the steep
canyon approximately nine miles below the North Rim on the
North Kaibab Trail.
The man was brought to Phantom Ranch by fellow hikers.
Park rangers responded and immediately began to provide
Rangers requested a helicopter for transport, but due to
weather it was unable to respond until Saturday morning.
The patient was transported in critical condition to the
Flagstaff Medical Center by Guardian air ambulance at
approximately 6:00 a.m.
The weather forecast calls for additional thunderstorms in
the Grand Canyon area over the next several days.
Hikers are advised to be especially cautious during
storm activity and should take precautions based on the
areas they are hiking in, as well as weather conditions.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food