Late Friday night Grand Canyon National Park rangers
received word that a 19 year-old male hiker had gotten
injured in a rock fall that occured in an area of the
canyon known as the “Box”.
The incident happened during a thunderstorm in the steep
canyon approximately nine miles below the North Rim on the
North Kaibab Trail.
The man was brought to Phantom Ranch by fellow hikers.
Park rangers responded and immediately began to provide
Rangers requested a helicopter for transport, but due to
weather it was unable to respond until Saturday morning.
The patient was transported in critical condition to the
Flagstaff Medical Center by Guardian air ambulance at
approximately 6:00 a.m.
The weather forecast calls for additional thunderstorms in
the Grand Canyon area over the next several days.
Hikers are advised to be especially cautious during
storm activity and should take precautions based on the
areas they are hiking in, as well as weather conditions.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development