Late Friday night Grand Canyon National Park rangers
received word that a 19 year-old male hiker had gotten
injured in a rock fall that occured in an area of the
canyon known as the “Box”.
The incident happened during a thunderstorm in the steep
canyon approximately nine miles below the North Rim on the
North Kaibab Trail.
The man was brought to Phantom Ranch by fellow hikers.
Park rangers responded and immediately began to provide
Rangers requested a helicopter for transport, but due to
weather it was unable to respond until Saturday morning.
The patient was transported in critical condition to the
Flagstaff Medical Center by Guardian air ambulance at
approximately 6:00 a.m.
The weather forecast calls for additional thunderstorms in
the Grand Canyon area over the next several days.
Hikers are advised to be especially cautious during
storm activity and should take precautions based on the
areas they are hiking in, as well as weather conditions.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates