Sunday could be a big day in the history of space exploration.
NASA is expected to land a rover, called Curiosity, on Mars over the weekend, designed to examine environmental conditions that could support life.
“Although the mission is not really designed to detect life, it’s designed to detect the likelihood the right kind of environmental conditions to support life,” said Kip Hodges, with the Arizona State University School of Earth and Space Explorations.
Hodges said an ASU alumnus will have control of a camera mounted on Curiosity’s arm.
“Probably the most dramatic macro camera that’s on Curiosity as well,” he said. “We have lots of current faculty, students and alumni who are heavily involved with this particular mission.”
Curiosity will be lowered onto Mars by a type of sky crane that acts like a bungee cord, something Hodges said has not been used before on other rover missions.
Hodges said the success of the current mission could put ASU in line for future missions of space exploration.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night