PHOENIX — You’ve got mail. Especially at work.
And a lot of the workday is spent reading and answering
A new survey by the McKinsey Global Institute said office
workers spend an average of 2.6 hours a day dealing with
email on the job. That comes out to about 27 workdays a
year and about 28 percent of their day.
Michael Hayes of Momentum Specialized Staffing in Phoenix
said many times, it’s unnecessary.
“When I was working in a big company, about 75 percent of
the emails came from inside the company,” said Hayes.
“Sometimes it was from somebody who was less than 50 feet
away from your desk.”
Hayes said many interoffice emails are sent so that people
can cover themselves if something goes wrong.
“There’s always this constant demand to … make sure
you’re not going to have any issues,” Hayes said.
When there’s a problem, Hayes said “Everybody’s response
is: ‘You know, I sent you an email.’ It was a way to say
‘How come you didn’t respond to it or drop everything
Hayes said that workers keep copies of emails, thinking
that email is a “get out of jail free card. It’s proof
that I alerted so-and-so to an issue that was going on.”
The survey said that smartphones and laptops keep
employees constantly checking their work e-mails, which
effectively stretches their eight-hour work day into
roughly 12 hours.
Hayes said that employees are starting to keep track of
the hours they spend dealing with work email on their own
Hayes said, “Let’s say if they get fired, they’ll go to
their employer and say ‘You know, I’ve been keeping track
of all of this extra time. What are you going to do with
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas