By 2050, Latinos will represent half of Arizona’s population and that is expected to create a major change in the state’s political landscape.
A new study from the Morrison Institute for Public Police at Arizona State University suggests that, once the young Latino population comes of age, that Arizona could shift from red to blue.
“It’s the young Hispanics, that are children today,” said Dr. Eric Hedburg with the Morrison Institute. “They’re going to grow up in a couple of decades and as citizens eligible to vote.”
Hedburg said the Latino population boom will generate a lot of slack in the system, possibly allowing the shift.
Currently, political parties don’t have a lot to lose by being partisan and polarized, but that could change in the future.
“Just like in a business where there is close competition and businesses start to do things like each other, the political parties are going to be forced to move to the center,” said Hedburg.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food