Critics may cringe, but there is now an online school for young undocumented immigrants who want to pursue higher education.
“It’s an immediate solution to young people who want to continue learning,” said Petra Falcon with Promise Arizona, which works with immigrant youths.
The project is called National Dream University and it was inspired and mirrored after Freedom University. Created in 2011 in response to Georgia legislation barring undocumented immigrants from going to college, Freedom University consists of a group of professors who offer immigrants a chance at fulfilling their college dream.
“Students are getting motivated, they’re having a newfound sense of hope they can go to college,” said Alma Castrejon, the project’s coordinator.
“If they’re not having this opportunity in their home state, they need someone to provide that.”
About 35 students will be accepted to take six courses in 2013, on topics including labor history and nonviolence and social movements, Castrejon said.
Anyone interested in immigrant and labor rights can apply whether they have legal status or not.
National Dream University in California is a collaborative effort between the Los Angeles Center for Labor Research and Education, the National Labor College and the University of California.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets