Critics may cringe, but there is now an online school for young undocumented immigrants who want to pursue higher education.
“It’s an immediate solution to young people who want to continue learning,” said Petra Falcon with Promise Arizona, which works with immigrant youths.
The project is called National Dream University and it was inspired and mirrored after Freedom University. Created in 2011 in response to Georgia legislation barring undocumented immigrants from going to college, Freedom University consists of a group of professors who offer immigrants a chance at fulfilling their college dream.
“Students are getting motivated, they’re having a newfound sense of hope they can go to college,” said Alma Castrejon, the project’s coordinator.
“If they’re not having this opportunity in their home state, they need someone to provide that.”
About 35 students will be accepted to take six courses in 2013, on topics including labor history and nonviolence and social movements, Castrejon said.
Anyone interested in immigrant and labor rights can apply whether they have legal status or not.
National Dream University in California is a collaborative effort between the Los Angeles Center for Labor Research and Education, the National Labor College and the University of California.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night