Critics may cringe, but there is now an online school for young undocumented immigrants who want to pursue higher education.
“It’s an immediate solution to young people who want to continue learning,” said Petra Falcon with Promise Arizona, which works with immigrant youths.
The project is called National Dream University and it was inspired and mirrored after Freedom University. Created in 2011 in response to Georgia legislation barring undocumented immigrants from going to college, Freedom University consists of a group of professors who offer immigrants a chance at fulfilling their college dream.
“Students are getting motivated, they’re having a newfound sense of hope they can go to college,” said Alma Castrejon, the project’s coordinator.
“If they’re not having this opportunity in their home state, they need someone to provide that.”
About 35 students will be accepted to take six courses in 2013, on topics including labor history and nonviolence and social movements, Castrejon said.
Anyone interested in immigrant and labor rights can apply whether they have legal status or not.
National Dream University in California is a collaborative effort between the Los Angeles Center for Labor Research and Education, the National Labor College and the University of California.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl