A weekend crash on Interstate 10 took the lives of at least six family members, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Carrick Cook with DPS said the family members were killed when a semi-truck crossed the median, striking the family’s van head-on.
“Six of the seven [killed] are family members from the Parker area,” he said. “The bodies were damaged to the point where we aren’t able to recognize them at all and we will, in no way, identify these people until we know for a fact who they are.”
The driver and passenger of the semi, identified as Jose and Antonia Mireles, are expected to be recover.
“We are looking at this being a medical issue that cause the crash, but we’re working with the hospital to determine a medical condition at the time of the crash and also interviewing the driver,” said Cook. “We haven’t had a chance to really sit down with him and talk. He’s been sedated.”
Cook said the youngest victim of the crash could be 10-years-old.
Autopsies on the bodies are expected to begin Wednesday.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas