A weekend crash on Interstate 10 took the lives of at least six family members, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Carrick Cook with DPS said the family members were killed when a semi-truck crossed the median, striking the family’s van head-on.
“Six of the seven [killed] are family members from the Parker area,” he said. “The bodies were damaged to the point where we aren’t able to recognize them at all and we will, in no way, identify these people until we know for a fact who they are.”
The driver and passenger of the semi, identified as Jose and Antonia Mireles, are expected to be recover.
“We are looking at this being a medical issue that cause the crash, but we’re working with the hospital to determine a medical condition at the time of the crash and also interviewing the driver,” said Cook. “We haven’t had a chance to really sit down with him and talk. He’s been sedated.”
Cook said the youngest victim of the crash could be 10-years-old.
Autopsies on the bodies are expected to begin Wednesday.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever