A weekend crash on Interstate 10 took the lives of at least six family members, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Carrick Cook with DPS said the family members were killed when a semi-truck crossed the median, striking the family’s van head-on.
“Six of the seven [killed] are family members from the Parker area,” he said. “The bodies were damaged to the point where we aren’t able to recognize them at all and we will, in no way, identify these people until we know for a fact who they are.”
The driver and passenger of the semi, identified as Jose and Antonia Mireles, are expected to be recover.
“We are looking at this being a medical issue that cause the crash, but we’re working with the hospital to determine a medical condition at the time of the crash and also interviewing the driver,” said Cook. “We haven’t had a chance to really sit down with him and talk. He’s been sedated.”
Cook said the youngest victim of the crash could be 10-years-old.
Autopsies on the bodies are expected to begin Wednesday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon