Tempe Police Officer Aaron Smith was arrested Saturday
morning by Tempe Police Detectives on multiple charges of
theft, burglary and tampering with physical evidence.
Smith, who had been with the department for over seven
years, had reportedly stolen cash, bicycles, and an
equipment case containing a GPS from two separate police
Police suspected Smith of the crimes, and therefore set up
an undercover detective to turn over a purse with $142 to
him while on duty. At conclusion of Smith’s shift the
purse had never been processed.
Smith was taken into custody Saturday morning and search
warrants obtained the bicycles, as well as the purse.
Smith admitted to stealing the bicycles, stealing cash,
and stealing the equipment case. He told police he stole
the property due to troubling financial situation, and had
given the bikes to his children.
It’s estimated the total
amount taken during these incidents was $1,006.
“Trust is paramount – in every aspect of law enforcement
employee behavior and actions,” Chief of Police Tom Ryff
stated. “This instance of criminal conduct clearly does
not reflect the professional standards and practices
expected of- and demonstrated by- Tempe Police employees.
There is no evidence that any other Tempe Police Employees
were involved in these crimes; unfortunately, the
regrettable actions of a single employee can have the
power to overshadow the honorable and daily good actions
that often go unnoticed.”
Smith has now resigned from the Tempe Police Department.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon