Arizona children under the age of 8 will be required to ride in a car seat next week, when a new law goes into effect.
Until now, Arizona was one of only three states without a booster-seat law. That changes Aug. 2, when the amended law takes effect.
“The new provision will require children younger than 8 years old or less than 4 feet 9 inches tall to sit in a child-safety seat, such as a booster seat, when riding in a vehicle,” said Stephanie Dembowski with Triple-A Arizona.
According to Dembowski, there is a good reason for the law.
“The 5-year-olds to 8-year-olds who were killed in car crashes died because they were not properly restrained,” she said. “We do know that they say lives and this updated law, without a doubt, is going to make a difference on our roads.”
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, proper use of a safety seat can reduce a child’s fatality risk up to 71 percent.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains