Arizona children under the age of 8 will be required to ride in a car seat next week, when a new law goes into effect.
Until now, Arizona was one of only three states without a booster-seat law. That changes Aug. 2, when the amended law takes effect.
“The new provision will require children younger than 8 years old or less than 4 feet 9 inches tall to sit in a child-safety seat, such as a booster seat, when riding in a vehicle,” said Stephanie Dembowski with Triple-A Arizona.
According to Dembowski, there is a good reason for the law.
“The 5-year-olds to 8-year-olds who were killed in car crashes died because they were not properly restrained,” she said. “We do know that they say lives and this updated law, without a doubt, is going to make a difference on our roads.”
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, proper use of a safety seat can reduce a child’s fatality risk up to 71 percent.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life