PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio could take the stand today in his racial-profiling trial in federal court.
The civil rights trial against Arpaio accuses him and his department of racially profiling Latinos in Maricopa County.
The class-action suit started with a complaint by a retired Mexican schoolteacher, who was stopped in Arizona in 2007 during one of Arpaio’s crime-suppression sweeps.
Arpaio’s accusers are not asking for damages, but simply an apology from the department and a change in policy.
Valley attorney Michael Kimerer said the outcome of this trial will serve as a precursor to a U.S. Justice Department case that alleges rampant racial profiling by the sheriff’s office.
“If he loses, it is something to be very concerned about because it just adds legally and psychologically and in every way to all of the other cases out there to go against him,” Kimerer said.
There is no timetable for when Arpaio may take the stand.
If found guilty, Arpaio will not face jail time or fines.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development