PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio could take the stand today in his racial-profiling trial in federal court.
The civil rights trial against Arpaio accuses him and his department of racially profiling Latinos in Maricopa County.
The class-action suit started with a complaint by a retired Mexican schoolteacher, who was stopped in Arizona in 2007 during one of Arpaio’s crime-suppression sweeps.
Arpaio’s accusers are not asking for damages, but simply an apology from the department and a change in policy.
Valley attorney Michael Kimerer said the outcome of this trial will serve as a precursor to a U.S. Justice Department case that alleges rampant racial profiling by the sheriff’s office.
“If he loses, it is something to be very concerned about because it just adds legally and psychologically and in every way to all of the other cases out there to go against him,” Kimerer said.
There is no timetable for when Arpaio may take the stand.
If found guilty, Arpaio will not face jail time or fines.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets