Hundreds of East Valley students are going back to school this Monday.
Chandler Police Det. Seth Tyler said parents should create a set route with kids if they are walking or riding their bikes.
“Walk that route with your child or drive that route,” he said. “Make sure that your child knows the street names that they’re are walking on or riding their bicycle route. Make sure they use that route — going to school and coming home from school — everyday. If there’s a problem with the route and they want to change it, they have to let you know.”
Tyler also suggested pointing out refuge areas along the way to school, such as a church or a business, in case they come accross a dangerous or suspicious situation.
“Point out some areas of refuge in the event that your child encounters someone suspicious or something dangerous that your child can run to and take some refuge in,” he said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths