Aspiring sportscaster Jessica Ghawi was one of the victims of a gunman who opened fire during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”
Ghawi’s mentor and friend, Peter Burns, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show that it’s been an emotional day.
“Here’s a person that did everything right, that followed her dream,” he said. “The only reason why she was in Aurora is because she just moved there a month ago to save money so she could continue to pursue broadcasting.”
Burns said Ghawi was a caring person and very driven in life.
“It’s shock,” he said. “It doesn’t seem real. On my radio show today, I got angry. I just can’t imagine how many people are touched with this senseless, senseless tragedy.”
In an odd twist, Ghawi was also present at a Toronto mall shooting about one month ago. She had blogged about having an eerie feeling just prior to the shooting and left the mall.
Ghawi’s brother, Jordan Ghawi, was very active on Twitter on Friday, chronicling his time of hearing the news to police confirming his sister was among those killed.
In her most recent job, Ghawi covered hockey under the pseudonym of Jessica Redfield. The NHL’s Twitter feed paid homage to Ghawi on Friday.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered