Aspiring sportscaster Jessica Ghawi was one of the victims of a gunman who opened fire during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”
Ghawi’s mentor and friend, Peter Burns, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show that it’s been an emotional day.
“Here’s a person that did everything right, that followed her dream,” he said. “The only reason why she was in Aurora is because she just moved there a month ago to save money so she could continue to pursue broadcasting.”
Burns said Ghawi was a caring person and very driven in life.
“It’s shock,” he said. “It doesn’t seem real. On my radio show today, I got angry. I just can’t imagine how many people are touched with this senseless, senseless tragedy.”
In an odd twist, Ghawi was also present at a Toronto mall shooting about one month ago. She had blogged about having an eerie feeling just prior to the shooting and left the mall.
Ghawi’s brother, Jordan Ghawi, was very active on Twitter on Friday, chronicling his time of hearing the news to police confirming his sister was among those killed.
In her most recent job, Ghawi covered hockey under the pseudonym of Jessica Redfield. The NHL’s Twitter feed paid homage to Ghawi on Friday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night