Aspiring sportscaster Jessica Ghawi was one of the victims of a gunman who opened fire during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”
Ghawi’s mentor and friend, Peter Burns, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show that it’s been an emotional day.
“Here’s a person that did everything right, that followed her dream,” he said. “The only reason why she was in Aurora is because she just moved there a month ago to save money so she could continue to pursue broadcasting.”
Burns said Ghawi was a caring person and very driven in life.
“It’s shock,” he said. “It doesn’t seem real. On my radio show today, I got angry. I just can’t imagine how many people are touched with this senseless, senseless tragedy.”
In an odd twist, Ghawi was also present at a Toronto mall shooting about one month ago. She had blogged about having an eerie feeling just prior to the shooting and left the mall.
Ghawi’s brother, Jordan Ghawi, was very active on Twitter on Friday, chronicling his time of hearing the news to police confirming his sister was among those killed.
In her most recent job, Ghawi covered hockey under the pseudonym of Jessica Redfield. The NHL’s Twitter feed paid homage to Ghawi on Friday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development