Due to Colorado massacre at a movie theater, Phoenix police presence will be beefed up at movie theaters and large venues.
“We’re asking the community to be aware of suspicious activity,” said Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia. “This includes persons, vehicles and any type of suspicious activity that occurs when you’re attending these types of venues.”
Garcia said the stepped-up presence will include increased patrols and officers going into the various theaters.
“I’m asking all our patrol precincts to make contact with the theaters in their area and to increase patrols out there,” he said. “Also, to get out of their vehicles and walk through theaters occasionally.”
Garcia said his daughter called to ask if she should see the movie in Dallas.
“She asked me, ‘Dad, should I attend,'” he said. “My answer was, ‘Absolutely.'”
Police said they have no reason to expect a similar event occurring in Phoenix.
Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor says his department will “provide
additional uniform officers at movie theaters and other places and events that
attract a large gathering of people” and “these resources will remain in place
for an undetermined amount of time.”
In Peoria, police say they are on “heightened alert” and staffing is higher
around theaters because of the large crowds the new “Batman” film is likely to
Mesa police say their officers “will be vigilant” in patrols of movie
theaters and many other large public venues around the city.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon