Due to Colorado massacre at a movie theater, Phoenix police presence will be beefed up at movie theaters and large venues.
“We’re asking the community to be aware of suspicious activity,” said Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia. “This includes persons, vehicles and any type of suspicious activity that occurs when you’re attending these types of venues.”
Garcia said the stepped-up presence will include increased patrols and officers going into the various theaters.
“I’m asking all our patrol precincts to make contact with the theaters in their area and to increase patrols out there,” he said. “Also, to get out of their vehicles and walk through theaters occasionally.”
Garcia said his daughter called to ask if she should see the movie in Dallas.
“She asked me, ‘Dad, should I attend,'” he said. “My answer was, ‘Absolutely.'”
Police said they have no reason to expect a similar event occurring in Phoenix.
Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor says his department will “provide
additional uniform officers at movie theaters and other places and events that
attract a large gathering of people” and “these resources will remain in place
for an undetermined amount of time.”
In Peoria, police say they are on “heightened alert” and staffing is higher
around theaters because of the large crowds the new “Batman” film is likely to
Mesa police say their officers “will be vigilant” in patrols of movie
theaters and many other large public venues around the city.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier