PHOENIX — There have been several bizarre cases involving bath salts recently, and that has led to a popular misconception that these are the bath salts that go in the tub.
There’s a difference between the two types of bath salts and many parents and children don’t know how to tell them apart.
Kim Obert with DrugFreeAZ.org is unaware of any cases where a teen smoked mom and dad’s bath salts, but said it would make someone very sick.
“It would be poison,” she said, “If you ingest enough soap, that’s going to be poison.”
When people hear bath salts, bubble baths and relaxing after a long day on the job come to mind. But the synthetic designer drug bath salts is dangerous, and resembles methamphetamine and can cause violent delusions.
“Cases reported people felt like demons were chasing them,” said Obert.
Obert said part of the confusion between true bath salts and the synthetic drug is marketing. Tub salts have pretty names, but so do the drugs found at the head shop.
“Big Wave, Ivory Snow, Snow White, Snow Wave,” said Obert, listing street names of the drug.
The drug bath salts has been banned in the United States, but the makers are changing the recipe just enough to get around that ban.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees