PHOENIX — There have been several bizarre cases involving bath salts recently, and that has led to a popular misconception that these are the bath salts that go in the tub.
There’s a difference between the two types of bath salts and many parents and children don’t know how to tell them apart.
Kim Obert with DrugFreeAZ.org is unaware of any cases where a teen smoked mom and dad’s bath salts, but said it would make someone very sick.
“It would be poison,” she said, “If you ingest enough soap, that’s going to be poison.”
When people hear bath salts, bubble baths and relaxing after a long day on the job come to mind. But the synthetic designer drug bath salts is dangerous, and resembles methamphetamine and can cause violent delusions.
“Cases reported people felt like demons were chasing them,” said Obert.
Obert said part of the confusion between true bath salts and the synthetic drug is marketing. Tub salts have pretty names, but so do the drugs found at the head shop.
“Big Wave, Ivory Snow, Snow White, Snow Wave,” said Obert, listing street names of the drug.
The drug bath salts has been banned in the United States, but the makers are changing the recipe just enough to get around that ban.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck