PHOENIX — There have been several bizarre cases involving bath salts recently, and that has led to a popular misconception that these are the bath salts that go in the tub.
There’s a difference between the two types of bath salts and many parents and children don’t know how to tell them apart.
Kim Obert with DrugFreeAZ.org is unaware of any cases where a teen smoked mom and dad’s bath salts, but said it would make someone very sick.
“It would be poison,” she said, “If you ingest enough soap, that’s going to be poison.”
When people hear bath salts, bubble baths and relaxing after a long day on the job come to mind. But the synthetic designer drug bath salts is dangerous, and resembles methamphetamine and can cause violent delusions.
“Cases reported people felt like demons were chasing them,” said Obert.
Obert said part of the confusion between true bath salts and the synthetic drug is marketing. Tub salts have pretty names, but so do the drugs found at the head shop.
“Big Wave, Ivory Snow, Snow White, Snow Wave,” said Obert, listing street names of the drug.
The drug bath salts has been banned in the United States, but the makers are changing the recipe just enough to get around that ban.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy