PHOENIX — Arizona has been granted a waiver to opt out of the No Child Left Behind federal education program.
Gov. Jan Brewer and schools Superintendent John Huppenthal announced Thursday that approval of the state’s flexibility request will allow improvement in secondary education. The state will now avoid sanctions if its schools don’t meet certain standards by 2014.
The standards include that 100 percent of students be proficient in reading and math.
“I’m grateful for this reprieve from federal red tape, allowing our teachers and administrators the flexibility they require to meet the needs of Arizona students,” said Brewer.
In its place, the Education Department has approved state plans aimed at improving low-performing schools, increasing teacher efficiency and preparing students for college and careers.
Arizona is one of 32 states and the District of Columbia, that sought relief from the regulations put in place by President George W. Bush in 2001. Four other states have outstanding requests.
In the West, Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington also have waivers.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.