With no relief in sight for the drought in the Midwest, economists are expecting food prices to go up as crops are dying and feeding cattle will cost more.
In Arizona, the drought hasn’t affected crops much, but Kelly Young with the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Office said dairy products might become more costly.
“The bigger concern is for the dairy people, the cattle people that use feed that’s produced in the Midwest,” she said. “The drought is driving up the prices of the feed, which is going to drive up the prices of milk.”
With the drought threatening crops in the Midwest, food prices everywhere could begin to rise.
“The price of corn is really, really important in the food chain and how far our dollar goes,” she said.
Drought conditions are believed to be the worst in 25 years.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development