The state health director will make the decision this week if the medical-marijuana program will be expanded to include anxiety, migraines, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.
A recent University of Arizona study found little or no evidence that medical marijuana would be effective in treating those conditions.
Arizona Health Director Will Humble said there’s not much research in this area to form policy decisions.
The owner of We Grow in Phoenix, the self-proclaimed “Walmart of Weed,” agreed with Humble.
“The research is limited,” said Sunny Singh. “I think you go in and do some new research and go from there.”
Singh said he would like to see medical marijuana being allowed to treat PTSD.
“You see a lot of veterans who have PTSD come in here,” he said. “[Marijuana] calms them down and provides some kind of relief for sure.”
Humble said the medical-marijuana program would expand by about 15,000 people if he allows PTSD as a qualifying condition.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night