The state health director will make the decision this week if the medical-marijuana program will be expanded to include anxiety, migraines, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.
A recent University of Arizona study found little or no evidence that medical marijuana would be effective in treating those conditions.
Arizona Health Director Will Humble said there’s not much research in this area to form policy decisions.
The owner of We Grow in Phoenix, the self-proclaimed “Walmart of Weed,” agreed with Humble.
“The research is limited,” said Sunny Singh. “I think you go in and do some new research and go from there.”
Singh said he would like to see medical marijuana being allowed to treat PTSD.
“You see a lot of veterans who have PTSD come in here,” he said. “[Marijuana] calms them down and provides some kind of relief for sure.”
Humble said the medical-marijuana program would expand by about 15,000 people if he allows PTSD as a qualifying condition.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier