PHOENIX — The dry, parched conditions centered in the Midwest are expanding and could have an effect on Arizona.
Now, described as the worst drought since 1956, the drought is expanding in the West, the Great Plains and the Midwest.
“Our economists are telling us that possibly because of the drought we are experiencing today, we might feel it in our pocketbooks at the grocery store,” said Julie Murphree with the Arizona Farm Bureau.
The Arizona Farm Bureau keeps track of food prices. They predict the cost of basic necessities such as bread and dairy will be impacted.
In an interesting twist, because farmers are trying to avoid the rising cost of grain, many are forced to reduce their herd size. Consumers could see a dip in beef prices.
If there is an upside for Arizona consumers, it’s that the full impact might not be felt until the last quarter of 2013, according to experts.
This week, the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. said that 55 percent of the country was in a moderate to extreme drought at the end of June.
Corn and soybean crops have been devastated in some areas. According to the USDA, nearly one-fourth of the country’s corn crop is in poor condition. Livestock farms are also struggling.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy