PHOENIX — The dry, parched conditions centered in the Midwest are expanding and could have an effect on Arizona.
Now, described as the worst drought since 1956, the drought is expanding in the West, the Great Plains and the Midwest.
“Our economists are telling us that possibly because of the drought we are experiencing today, we might feel it in our pocketbooks at the grocery store,” said Julie Murphree with the Arizona Farm Bureau.
The Arizona Farm Bureau keeps track of food prices. They predict the cost of basic necessities such as bread and dairy will be impacted.
In an interesting twist, because farmers are trying to avoid the rising cost of grain, many are forced to reduce their herd size. Consumers could see a dip in beef prices.
If there is an upside for Arizona consumers, it’s that the full impact might not be felt until the last quarter of 2013, according to experts.
This week, the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. said that 55 percent of the country was in a moderate to extreme drought at the end of June.
Corn and soybean crops have been devastated in some areas. According to the USDA, nearly one-fourth of the country’s corn crop is in poor condition. Livestock farms are also struggling.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees