PHOENIX — The dry, parched conditions centered in the Midwest are expanding and could have an effect on Arizona.
Now, described as the worst drought since 1956, the drought is expanding in the West, the Great Plains and the Midwest.
“Our economists are telling us that possibly because of the drought we are experiencing today, we might feel it in our pocketbooks at the grocery store,” said Julie Murphree with the Arizona Farm Bureau.
The Arizona Farm Bureau keeps track of food prices. They predict the cost of basic necessities such as bread and dairy will be impacted.
In an interesting twist, because farmers are trying to avoid the rising cost of grain, many are forced to reduce their herd size. Consumers could see a dip in beef prices.
If there is an upside for Arizona consumers, it’s that the full impact might not be felt until the last quarter of 2013, according to experts.
This week, the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. said that 55 percent of the country was in a moderate to extreme drought at the end of June.
Corn and soybean crops have been devastated in some areas. According to the USDA, nearly one-fourth of the country’s corn crop is in poor condition. Livestock farms are also struggling.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America