TEMPE, Ariz. – An Arizona State University professor said America’s tax laws need to be changed to cover zombies.
In a tongue in cheek article in the Iowa Law Review, professor Adam Chodorow notes that America’s legal system doesn’t answer an important question.
“Where is the line between life and death,” said Chodorow. “It comes up primarily in organ donations, but in a whole number of other areas. It turns out that it’s not so obvious when someone should be considered dead. Different states have different standards, so you might be dead in California but still living in Arizona.”
Arizona law doesn’t have a definition. Capitol Media Services said that probate law said that a “determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards.”
In some states, the determination of death involved brain activity, while in others, it just means the heart has stopped beating.
And what about former baseball great Ted Williams? He died in 2002, but his frozen remains are in a cryonics facility in Scottsdale.
“You have a number of people who think that they can be frozen and be brought back,” said Chodorow. “While that is perhaps beyond current medical technology, at some point, medical science is advancing. What we now consider death may not be the line anymore. It may be possible to bring people back.”
Chodorow said if someone is brought back, there are several questions that need to be answered.
“Do they get their old Social Security number back? If their estate has been probated, do they get their property back? If they paid estate taxes, do they get a refund of the estate taxes paid? There are a whole series of questions that arise when somebody comes back from the dead,” Chodorow said.
Chodorow said he brought up the questions in the hopes of “starting a discussion” on the issues.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them