PHOENIX — The main road into Crown King is shutting down again Monday morning because of a mudslide triggered by heavy rain over the weekend.
An estimated six inches of rainfall washed out the main road into Crown King just weeks after a 16,000-acre wildfire burned in around the community. Repairs are expected to take all week.
Taryn Denyce runs the Bradshaw Mountain Bed and Breakfast and said the fire cost her $20,000 in business and the weekend weather just adds to the problem.
“I get calls asking are you still on fire? No, please come back. And then there’s the rain. I haven’t even started getting calls over the roads.
“I have no reservations. I’m usually completely full this time of year. We want the rain because it opens the forest back up but the consequences are when it comes down so severely, they wash out roads.”
Only postal service and residents are allowed escorted access on the road.
Officials had opened the main road into the community for a few hours Sunday.
The road closure area is between Cleator and the Poland Creek Bridge.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever