PHOENIX — The main road into Crown King is shutting down again Monday morning because of a mudslide triggered by heavy rain over the weekend.
An estimated six inches of rainfall washed out the main road into Crown King just weeks after a 16,000-acre wildfire burned in around the community. Repairs are expected to take all week.
Taryn Denyce runs the Bradshaw Mountain Bed and Breakfast and said the fire cost her $20,000 in business and the weekend weather just adds to the problem.
“I get calls asking are you still on fire? No, please come back. And then there’s the rain. I haven’t even started getting calls over the roads.
“I have no reservations. I’m usually completely full this time of year. We want the rain because it opens the forest back up but the consequences are when it comes down so severely, they wash out roads.”
Only postal service and residents are allowed escorted access on the road.
Officials had opened the main road into the community for a few hours Sunday.
The road closure area is between Cleator and the Poland Creek Bridge.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development