PHOENIX — Facebook is watching.
A new report by Mashable.com said chats on
Facebook are being watched for clues of illegal activity.
The social website
monitors for words or phrases that might be a hint
that a suer is up to something.
“The vast majority of scanning of private conversations is
done electronically. It’s not done by humans,” said Ken
Colburn of Data Doctors.
“A human only gets involved
when the automated mechanism spits out a transaction that
it deems a human should take a look at it.”
Facebook security then decides whether to contact police.
Colburn said that what Facebook is doing is legal.
“Once [your chat message] is committed to a digital form,
it can be monitored, tracked, copied and duplicated in the
blink of an eye,” said Colburn.
“I think users, in
general, have to really understand that.”
In fact, Facebook may not have any choice but to check
chats for criminal activity.
“A lot of what Facebook is going through in this area is
forced or pushed just from some of the legal obligations
or potential liability they have by not participating or
turning folks in,” Colburn said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier