PHOENIX — Facebook is watching.
A new report by Mashable.com said chats on
Facebook are being watched for clues of illegal activity.
The social website
monitors for words or phrases that might be a hint
that a suer is up to something.
“The vast majority of scanning of private conversations is
done electronically. It’s not done by humans,” said Ken
Colburn of Data Doctors.
“A human only gets involved
when the automated mechanism spits out a transaction that
it deems a human should take a look at it.”
Facebook security then decides whether to contact police.
Colburn said that what Facebook is doing is legal.
“Once [your chat message] is committed to a digital form,
it can be monitored, tracked, copied and duplicated in the
blink of an eye,” said Colburn.
“I think users, in
general, have to really understand that.”
In fact, Facebook may not have any choice but to check
chats for criminal activity.
“A lot of what Facebook is going through in this area is
forced or pushed just from some of the legal obligations
or potential liability they have by not participating or
turning folks in,” Colburn said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets