MESA, Ariz. — Mesa police are on the lookout for
who don’t use the crosswalk.
Five pedestrians have been killed in accidents this
year — four of them were jaywalking. Police
are taking action.
“Our officers that are out there, specifically our
traffic officers, have a directive that if they see
individuals crossing against the lights or riding bicycles
inappropriately, they stop and make contact with those
folks,” said police Detective Steve Barry.
One area they are watching is near the light-rail station
at Main and Sycamore streets.
“We haven’t had any
specific pedestrian-related accidents in that area, but
it’s an area where there’s a lot of activity, so we have
focused a lot of attention to that area,” said Barry.
He said that officers have a message for people that they
stop near the light rail.
“Catching that train, as
opposed to waiting for the next one, or catching that bus
as opposed to the next one and running out into the
roadway is just not safe,” Barry said.
“You can catch
the next as opposed to getting hit by a car.”
Police haven’t given out tickets yet, but Barry
said that’s up to the officer’s discretion. Mesa is
trying to avoid a repeat of 2008, when eight pedestrians died in accidents.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon