MESA, Ariz. — Mesa police are on the lookout for
who don’t use the crosswalk.
Five pedestrians have been killed in accidents this
year — four of them were jaywalking. Police
are taking action.
“Our officers that are out there, specifically our
traffic officers, have a directive that if they see
individuals crossing against the lights or riding bicycles
inappropriately, they stop and make contact with those
folks,” said police Detective Steve Barry.
One area they are watching is near the light-rail station
at Main and Sycamore streets.
“We haven’t had any
specific pedestrian-related accidents in that area, but
it’s an area where there’s a lot of activity, so we have
focused a lot of attention to that area,” said Barry.
He said that officers have a message for people that they
stop near the light rail.
“Catching that train, as
opposed to waiting for the next one, or catching that bus
as opposed to the next one and running out into the
roadway is just not safe,” Barry said.
“You can catch
the next as opposed to getting hit by a car.”
Police haven’t given out tickets yet, but Barry
said that’s up to the officer’s discretion. Mesa is
trying to avoid a repeat of 2008, when eight pedestrians died in accidents.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes