MESA, Ariz. — Mesa police are on the lookout for
who don’t use the crosswalk.
Five pedestrians have been killed in accidents this
year — four of them were jaywalking. Police
are taking action.
“Our officers that are out there, specifically our
traffic officers, have a directive that if they see
individuals crossing against the lights or riding bicycles
inappropriately, they stop and make contact with those
folks,” said police Detective Steve Barry.
One area they are watching is near the light-rail station
at Main and Sycamore streets.
“We haven’t had any
specific pedestrian-related accidents in that area, but
it’s an area where there’s a lot of activity, so we have
focused a lot of attention to that area,” said Barry.
He said that officers have a message for people that they
stop near the light rail.
“Catching that train, as
opposed to waiting for the next one, or catching that bus
as opposed to the next one and running out into the
roadway is just not safe,” Barry said.
“You can catch
the next as opposed to getting hit by a car.”
Police haven’t given out tickets yet, but Barry
said that’s up to the officer’s discretion. Mesa is
trying to avoid a repeat of 2008, when eight pedestrians died in accidents.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise