Here in Phoenix, we are all familiar with the monsoons and dust storms that Arizona brings.
Sometimes, amid all the traffic, grime and complications the storms bring, we lose sight as to just how beautiful a massive desert storm can bring.
The man who took this photo on Wednesday from the roof of the Hotel Valley Ho, Andrew Pielage, had this to say about the moment he took this photo:
Last monsoon season the storms seemed to come in fast and furious, leaving a little rain and a thick layer of dust over the Valley and then it was over. But the monsoon storm last night was different. It reminded me of the type of monsoons that I would see growing up in Phoenix. The kind you could watch all night.
The wind started off innocently enough with a slight breeze around 7 p.m. Then in true monsoon fashion, you can always smell the rain hit the desert floor before it actually starts to rain at your location. You could hear the low rumble of the thunder and flashes of lightening in the distance. Then the wind started to gust and the rain came down lightly, off and on around 9 p.m. At 10 p.m. the thunder and lightning were cracking and booming in all four directions over my head and over the entire Phoenix area.
In the true and insane “I have to get a shot” kind of way I headed up the exposed rooftop deck of the Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale around 11:30 p.m. There was a break in the rain so I knew I had to get a shot fast. Thirty terrifying minutes later, with the rain starting to come down in full force again, I managed to get the shot I had been waiting for.
As I was driving home, the full force of the monsoon was coming down and I got the all-to-familiar hair raising on my right forearm. I’m no expert but I think that means it’s going to be a great monsoon season for photographers!
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food