PHOENIX — Lightning sparked a fire at a Phoenix business early Thursday morning, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage.
A bolt hit the Republic Monetary Exchange building near 40th Street and Camelback Road around 12:45 a.m., igniting a fire on the second story and roof.
“When I got the call, my heart started racing and I got out of bed real quick,” CEO Jim Clark said. “I got over here only to find the place filled with firefighters and fire trucks. I thought: ‘this thing is going to go up in smoke.’ ”
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the second floor but the water damage is extensive.
“Our sales floor is under about a half-inch of water,” Clark said. “We lost a few computers but most of our expensive areas — our vault and (computer) servers — were spared.”
The Exchange will be closed Thursday, Clark said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments