A high-speed pursuit on the Loop 202
Gilbert early Wednesday turned into a barricade
situation in southwest Phoenix and now police are unsure where the suspect is.
The suspect reached speeds of more than 100 miles per
hour driving a white van. Initially Gila River Police were
pull him over for speeding.
Police surrounded a house near 35th Avenue and
Southern Avenue where they believed the suspect to be and
out of the house. After no response they stormed the house
and did not find the suspect.
“Because we already had the area contained we went ahead and had our SWAT team go in and search the residence and it appears he was not there,” Phoenix police sergeant Tommy Thompson said.
Carrick Cook with the Department of Public Safety says
police SWAT teams and canine units were on the scene.
Police did confirm with the owners of the house that the
suspect, a 23-year-old male, has outstanding misdemeanor
“Indications we have, the information from the family that lives there, that they believe the individual has some traffic warrants out for his arrest. We set up a perimeter but apparently he was able to get out of the perimeter before we got set up,” Thompson said.
Police entered the home, but the man wasn’t inside. The suspect’s name hasn’t been released, but he is not believed to be dangerous.
The pursuit also involved police from Gilbert, Phoenix and DPS.
The car chase lasted nearly an hour and continued until
Street on Interstate 10 before the driver exited.
Police received multiple calls from other drivers
what they thought was an impaired driver.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona