A high-speed pursuit on the Loop 202
Gilbert early Wednesday turned into a barricade
situation in southwest Phoenix and now police are unsure where the suspect is.
The suspect reached speeds of more than 100 miles per
hour driving a white van. Initially Gila River Police were
pull him over for speeding.
Police surrounded a house near 35th Avenue and
Southern Avenue where they believed the suspect to be and
out of the house. After no response they stormed the house
and did not find the suspect.
“Because we already had the area contained we went ahead and had our SWAT team go in and search the residence and it appears he was not there,” Phoenix police sergeant Tommy Thompson said.
Carrick Cook with the Department of Public Safety says
police SWAT teams and canine units were on the scene.
Police did confirm with the owners of the house that the
suspect, a 23-year-old male, has outstanding misdemeanor
“Indications we have, the information from the family that lives there, that they believe the individual has some traffic warrants out for his arrest. We set up a perimeter but apparently he was able to get out of the perimeter before we got set up,” Thompson said.
Police entered the home, but the man wasn’t inside. The suspect’s name hasn’t been released, but he is not believed to be dangerous.
The pursuit also involved police from Gilbert, Phoenix and DPS.
The car chase lasted nearly an hour and continued until
Street on Interstate 10 before the driver exited.
Police received multiple calls from other drivers
what they thought was an impaired driver.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development