A high-speed pursuit on the Loop 202
Gilbert early Wednesday turned into a barricade
situation in southwest Phoenix and now police are unsure where the suspect is.
The suspect reached speeds of more than 100 miles per
hour driving a white van. Initially Gila River Police were
pull him over for speeding.
Police surrounded a house near 35th Avenue and
Southern Avenue where they believed the suspect to be and
out of the house. After no response they stormed the house
and did not find the suspect.
“Because we already had the area contained we went ahead and had our SWAT team go in and search the residence and it appears he was not there,” Phoenix police sergeant Tommy Thompson said.
Carrick Cook with the Department of Public Safety says
police SWAT teams and canine units were on the scene.
Police did confirm with the owners of the house that the
suspect, a 23-year-old male, has outstanding misdemeanor
“Indications we have, the information from the family that lives there, that they believe the individual has some traffic warrants out for his arrest. We set up a perimeter but apparently he was able to get out of the perimeter before we got set up,” Thompson said.
Police entered the home, but the man wasn’t inside. The suspect’s name hasn’t been released, but he is not believed to be dangerous.
The pursuit also involved police from Gilbert, Phoenix and DPS.
The car chase lasted nearly an hour and continued until
Street on Interstate 10 before the driver exited.
Police received multiple calls from other drivers
what they thought was an impaired driver.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains