A man convicted of arson of his $3.5 million Valley mansion took cyanide in a court room shortly after being convicted in a Phoenix court, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday.
A can of cyanide, meant for mining purposes, was found in Michael Marin’s vehicle after his courtroom suicide.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Marin purchased the cyanide in 2009 from a California company for Marin’s preplanned suicide.
“On the evening of [Marin’s] death, his adult son received a delayed email from Michael Marin, telling him that if things don’t go good in court, Marin’s wills are in place and his car could be found parked in a Mesa location,” said Arpaio.
Despite the death of Marin, Arpaio said the court duties of his deputies will not change.
“We’re not in charge of the courtroom,” he said. “We’re not in charge of the searching when they come into the courtroom through metal detectors. We’re in charge once that suspect is turned over to our custody in our jails.”
The investigation has been turned over to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury found Marin, 53, guilty of arson of an occupied structure. He collapsed in court immediately after the verdict was read.
Marin was transported to a hospital and died shortly after.
Judge Bruce Cohen, who ruled in the case, ordered that no video footage be shown of Marin’s medical treatment.
Prosecutors said Marin would have faced up to nearly 16 years in prison if he was convicted.
Marin’s mansion burned down in July 2009. He told authorities he escaped the blaze by climbing down a rope ladder while wearing a scuba tank and diving mask to protect himself from the smoke.
Phoenix Fire Department investigators called it arson. Prosecutors claimed Marin, a former Wall Street trader, set fire to his house because he could no longer pay the mortgage.
Watch a video of Marin ingesting the cyanide from 3TV:
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets