A man convicted of arson of his $3.5 million Valley mansion took cyanide in a court room shortly after being convicted in a Phoenix court, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday.
A can of cyanide, meant for mining purposes, was found in Michael Marin’s vehicle after his courtroom suicide.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Marin purchased the cyanide in 2009 from a California company for Marin’s preplanned suicide.
“On the evening of [Marin’s] death, his adult son received a delayed email from Michael Marin, telling him that if things don’t go good in court, Marin’s wills are in place and his car could be found parked in a Mesa location,” said Arpaio.
Despite the death of Marin, Arpaio said the court duties of his deputies will not change.
“We’re not in charge of the courtroom,” he said. “We’re not in charge of the searching when they come into the courtroom through metal detectors. We’re in charge once that suspect is turned over to our custody in our jails.”
The investigation has been turned over to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury found Marin, 53, guilty of arson of an occupied structure. He collapsed in court immediately after the verdict was read.
Marin was transported to a hospital and died shortly after.
Judge Bruce Cohen, who ruled in the case, ordered that no video footage be shown of Marin’s medical treatment.
Prosecutors said Marin would have faced up to nearly 16 years in prison if he was convicted.
Marin’s mansion burned down in July 2009. He told authorities he escaped the blaze by climbing down a rope ladder while wearing a scuba tank and diving mask to protect himself from the smoke.
Phoenix Fire Department investigators called it arson. Prosecutors claimed Marin, a former Wall Street trader, set fire to his house because he could no longer pay the mortgage.
Watch a video of Marin ingesting the cyanide from 3TV:
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever