Arizona kids may not be challenged enough in school.
A U.S. Department of Education study said 37 percent of fourth graders said math is too easy and 57 percent of eighth graders said history is too easy.
Arizona Superintendent John Huppenthal said that, despite national statistics, Arizona schools are making progress.
“Our schools are progressively doing better,” he said. “Right now, we rank somewhere around 20th in the nation in the quality of our schools.”
Huppenthal said Arizona is challenging students by using a blended learning environment.
“Students are in digital environments for part of the day and they’re in classroom environments for part of the day,” he said.
The digital technology helps keep students engaged.
“They move right to the edge of their ability, so they’re in an environment in which they’re challenged right at the edge, every day,” said Huppenthal.
According to Huppenthal, teacher training is still a top priority.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night