Arizona kids may not be challenged enough in school.
A U.S. Department of Education study said 37 percent of fourth graders said math is too easy and 57 percent of eighth graders said history is too easy.
Arizona Superintendent John Huppenthal said that, despite national statistics, Arizona schools are making progress.
“Our schools are progressively doing better,” he said. “Right now, we rank somewhere around 20th in the nation in the quality of our schools.”
Huppenthal said Arizona is challenging students by using a blended learning environment.
“Students are in digital environments for part of the day and they’re in classroom environments for part of the day,” he said.
The digital technology helps keep students engaged.
“They move right to the edge of their ability, so they’re in an environment in which they’re challenged right at the edge, every day,” said Huppenthal.
According to Huppenthal, teacher training is still a top priority.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns