Three women have been arrested in Phoenix in connection
with the nation’s first counterfeit coupon ring.
In a press conference, police said a search warrant served
at 36406 North 29th Avenue yielded 22 guns and high-
quality fraudulent coupons from overseas worth about $25
Three women were arrested in connection with the crime:
40-year-old Robin Ramirez, the alleged ringleader, 54-
year-old Marilyn Johnson, an alleged assistant and 42-
year-old Amiko “Amy” Fountain, an alleged assistant and
The coupons were sold via savvyshoppersite.com, which has no
connection to the local coupon mailer. Interested shoppers
had to be referred or invited to use the site, where they
could purchase the fraudulent coupons.
The scam focused on the production of manufacturer’s
coupons, because they offer either a free item or a
significant reduction in the item’s cost.
“These aren’t 50-cents-off coupons, these are free item
coupons,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. David Lake. “Some of
them, like for Iams, you get this coupon from [Ramirez]
for $10 or $20 and you can get up to a $70 item — walk
out out of the store with a $70 bag of dog food. If you
can get an unlimited number of those, think of how this
The counterfeit ring was allegedly using 12 different bank
and money accounts, one of which made about $2 million in
a single year.
“We took [Ramirez’s] shipping as far back as 2007 and can
see her doing it there,” said Lake.
Over 40 of the nation’s largest manufacturers reported
false coupons being used.
The investigation was conducted by the Phoenix Police
Department in cooperation with the Coupon Information
Corporation and FBI Internet Crimes Unit.
Shoppers using coupons purchased from the site could be
arrested if they attempt to use them, police said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.