Three women have been arrested in Phoenix in connection
with the nation’s first counterfeit coupon ring.
In a press conference, police said a search warrant served
at 36406 North 29th Avenue yielded 22 guns and high-
quality fraudulent coupons from overseas worth about $25
Three women were arrested in connection with the crime:
40-year-old Robin Ramirez, the alleged ringleader, 54-
year-old Marilyn Johnson, an alleged assistant and 42-
year-old Amiko “Amy” Fountain, an alleged assistant and
The coupons were sold via savvyshoppersite.com, which has no
connection to the local coupon mailer. Interested shoppers
had to be referred or invited to use the site, where they
could purchase the fraudulent coupons.
The scam focused on the production of manufacturer’s
coupons, because they offer either a free item or a
significant reduction in the item’s cost.
“These aren’t 50-cents-off coupons, these are free item
coupons,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. David Lake. “Some of
them, like for Iams, you get this coupon from [Ramirez]
for $10 or $20 and you can get up to a $70 item — walk
out out of the store with a $70 bag of dog food. If you
can get an unlimited number of those, think of how this
The counterfeit ring was allegedly using 12 different bank
and money accounts, one of which made about $2 million in
a single year.
“We took [Ramirez’s] shipping as far back as 2007 and can
see her doing it there,” said Lake.
Over 40 of the nation’s largest manufacturers reported
false coupons being used.
The investigation was conducted by the Phoenix Police
Department in cooperation with the Coupon Information
Corporation and FBI Internet Crimes Unit.
Shoppers using coupons purchased from the site could be
arrested if they attempt to use them, police said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon