SUN LAKES, Ariz. — Sun Lakes is typically a quiet retirement community in the southeast Valley but Tuesday that changed a bit.
Dozens of residents vented their frustrations to the Arizona Corporation Commission about a proposed 18 percent water and sewer rate hike from the Pima Utility Company.
For the first time in almost two decades, Pima Utility wants to boost the bill for about 10,000 residents.
Catharina Couples spoke to the commission at Sun Lakes Country Club and said the hike averages out to about $6 more on her water bill each month. That may not sound like much but it is to those on fixed incomes.
“This is a retirement community,” she said. “We live on fixed and limited incomes. In this recession everybody is counting every penny. Doing without or stretching.”
The Corporation isn’t expected to decide on the proposal for several weeks.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths