SUN LAKES, Ariz. — Sun Lakes is typically a quiet retirement community in the southeast Valley but Tuesday that changed a bit.
Dozens of residents vented their frustrations to the Arizona Corporation Commission about a proposed 18 percent water and sewer rate hike from the Pima Utility Company.
For the first time in almost two decades, Pima Utility wants to boost the bill for about 10,000 residents.
Catharina Couples spoke to the commission at Sun Lakes Country Club and said the hike averages out to about $6 more on her water bill each month. That may not sound like much but it is to those on fixed incomes.
“This is a retirement community,” she said. “We live on fixed and limited incomes. In this recession everybody is counting every penny. Doing without or stretching.”
The Corporation isn’t expected to decide on the proposal for several weeks.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick