TEMPE, Ariz. — Hundreds of kids are at summer camp in the Valley, but there’s one that’s a bit different than the others.
About 300 kids are at App Camp at Arizona State University. One day, they could create a video game or mobile app
“They’re making video games, they’re actually developing iPhone apps, they’re learning robotics, programming,” said Karen Thurn Safran of ID Tech Camps. The California-based company runs the camp and others like it nationwide.
“It’s pretty amazing what they can do in just one week.”
The camp is for kids 7-17.
“The goal is really a S.T.E.M. focus, which is science, technology, engineering and math,” said Safran. “It’s a huge initiative all of the way from the Obama administration to get kids into these fields and get excited about them so that they will pursue careers in these areas.”
Camp started in June, but kids can still sign up. Cost is about $750 for one week.
To learn more visit the website.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise