TEMPE, Ariz. — Hundreds of kids are at summer camp in the Valley, but there’s one that’s a bit different than the others.
About 300 kids are at App Camp at Arizona State University. One day, they could create a video game or mobile app
“They’re making video games, they’re actually developing iPhone apps, they’re learning robotics, programming,” said Karen Thurn Safran of ID Tech Camps. The California-based company runs the camp and others like it nationwide.
“It’s pretty amazing what they can do in just one week.”
The camp is for kids 7-17.
“The goal is really a S.T.E.M. focus, which is science, technology, engineering and math,” said Safran. “It’s a huge initiative all of the way from the Obama administration to get kids into these fields and get excited about them so that they will pursue careers in these areas.”
Camp started in June, but kids can still sign up. Cost is about $750 for one week.
To learn more visit the website.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food