TEMPE, Ariz. — Hundreds of kids are at summer camp in the Valley, but there’s one that’s a bit different than the others.
About 300 kids are at App Camp at Arizona State University. One day, they could create a video game or mobile app
“They’re making video games, they’re actually developing iPhone apps, they’re learning robotics, programming,” said Karen Thurn Safran of ID Tech Camps. The California-based company runs the camp and others like it nationwide.
“It’s pretty amazing what they can do in just one week.”
The camp is for kids 7-17.
“The goal is really a S.T.E.M. focus, which is science, technology, engineering and math,” said Safran. “It’s a huge initiative all of the way from the Obama administration to get kids into these fields and get excited about them so that they will pursue careers in these areas.”
Camp started in June, but kids can still sign up. Cost is about $750 for one week.
To learn more visit the website.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.