PHOENIX — About 35 percent of the nearly 200 state and legislative
candidates in this year’s election decided to run using Arizona’s publicly
funded Clean Elections system.
The Arizona Republic
reports that 72 people are running with Clean Elections funding.
The Clean Elections system, approved by voters in 1998, provides funding for
candidates for governor, legislative seats and other state offices.
Candidates who voluntarily participate must collect a set number of $5
contributions from voters to qualify for public funding.
In return, they must adhere to certain spending limits.
Traffic and criminal fine surcharges fund most of the Clean Elections system.
The commission will hold nine candidate debates in the next two months.
Clean Elections participants must attend the debates.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.