PHOENIX — The father of a 10-year-old girl who died after being placed
inside a footlocker for punishment has been arrested.
The Arizona Republic
reports that 52-year-old David Deal was arrested Friday night on suspicion
of child abuse, kidnapping and dangerous crimes against children.
Phoenix police say 10-year-old Ame Deal died on July 12 after being
placed inside a padlocked, plastic footlocker for punishment.
The father’s arrest marks the sixth person to be taken into custody in the
case. The girl’s cousins, aunts and grandmother have also been charged.
Officials allege that David Deal locked the girl in a trunk as punishment on
several occasions between December 2010 and July 2011.
“On one occasion, (he) was said to have thrown the trunk, containing Ame,
into the backyard swimming pool because she kept crying and yelling that
she couldn’t breathe during the confinement,” Crump said. “The trunk was
removed before it could sink.”
After his arrest, Deal denied that he abused her.
Family members accused of tormenting and killing Ame are months, if not
years, from standing trial because of the complexity of the case and the
severity of the charges.
Authorities allege that two of her cousins — 23-year-old John Allen and
24-year-old Sammantha Allen — had stuffed the child in the footlocker at
her home on July 11 as punishment for taking a Popsicle from the freezer.
John Allen and Sammantha Allen are charged with first-degree murder,
child abuse and conspiracy to commit child abuse. Police allege that John
padlocked Ame inside the footlocker while Sammantha made sure she
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against John Allen and
Sammantha Allen, who were arrested last summer along with Ame’s 73-
year-old grandmother, Judith Deal, and 45-year-old aunt, Cynthia
Judith Deal and Stoltzmann are charged with multiple child-abuse counts.
In February, the girl’s 25-year-old aunt, Ammandea Stoltzmann, was
accused of abusing her.
Authorities say Ammandea’s arrest came as new details emerged during the
case investigation, which has crossed state lines.
Witnesses alleged that while living with Ame in Texas, Ammandea beat the
child, restrained her outdoors overnight with a dog collar and chain and
confined her in a dog kennel. They also alleged that in Arizona, Ammandea
scrubbed her face with a wire brush, kicked her in the face and put
extremely potent hot sauce in her mouth as punishment for lying, police
In a police statement, Ammandea said Ame was never schooled, allowed to
play or taken anywhere with the rest of the family.
The death-penalty case won’t come to trial until December 2013.
The trial of Cynthia Stoltzmann, Ammandea Stoltzmann and Judith Deal
was separated from that of John Allen and Sammantha Allen because their
charges are related to abuse before her death, records show. Their trial
date hasn’t been set.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night