The incendiary ammunition that allegedly sparked the Sunflower Fire is banned at all times from forest lands, the Forest Service said in an email.
The email read:
It is prohibited to use tracer bullets and incendiary ammo on National Forest System lands- PROHIBITED AT ALL TIMES ON ALL NATIONAL FORESTS. This prohibition is under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRS), so it governs ALL National Forest System lands (including the Pacific and Puerto Rico).
According to the Forest Service, gunfire ignited seven fires in Arizona in 2010, ten fires in 2011 and five so far in 2012, including the Sunflower Fire.
The forest was not under fire restrictions on May 12, when the fire was started. Those restrictions were set to go in place on May 15.
The Sunflower Fire has burned 17,500 acres to date and has cost about $6 million to fight. It is still 80 percent contained.
Persons who start a wildfire can be held liable — both legally and financially — if the U.S. Attorney’s Office chooses to pursue that route.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas