The incendiary ammunition that allegedly sparked the Sunflower Fire is banned at all times from forest lands, the Forest Service said in an email.
The email read:
It is prohibited to use tracer bullets and incendiary ammo on National Forest System lands- PROHIBITED AT ALL TIMES ON ALL NATIONAL FORESTS. This prohibition is under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRS), so it governs ALL National Forest System lands (including the Pacific and Puerto Rico).
According to the Forest Service, gunfire ignited seven fires in Arizona in 2010, ten fires in 2011 and five so far in 2012, including the Sunflower Fire.
The forest was not under fire restrictions on May 12, when the fire was started. Those restrictions were set to go in place on May 15.
The Sunflower Fire has burned 17,500 acres to date and has cost about $6 million to fight. It is still 80 percent contained.
Persons who start a wildfire can be held liable — both legally and financially — if the U.S. Attorney’s Office chooses to pursue that route.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food