The Sunflower Fire, which has burned nearly 18,000 acres of Arizona forest, was allegedly started by a bachelor party firing guns.
Steven Craig Shiflet, 23, from Mesa, Ariz., has been charged by a complaint in federal district court that a shotgun shell fired by him sparked the fire.
“He and four of his friends had traveled from Mesa to the Sycamore Creek area for a camp out and bachelor party on May 11 of this year,” said Bill Solomon with the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
According to a press release from the Forest Service, Shiflet and four friends were firing at targets on May 12 when Shiflet loaded an incendiary shotgun shell and fired it. Shortly after, the group of men saw smoke behind the area they were firing at.
The packaging of the shotgun shell warned of an extreme fire hazard, saying
flames would shoot 100 feet and burn everything in their path.
The men attempted to extinguish the flames.
Shiflet told investigators he called 911 from his cellphone to report the fire
and was told to leave the area.
Investigators tracked down the group through a license plate number on their
vehicle. The five men in the group, who were out camping for a bachelor party,
told nearly identical stories, authorities said.
Shiflet faces three charges, each of which carries a maximum penalty of six
months in prison and a $5,000 fine if he’s convicted. There was no answer at
potential phone listings for him and he did not have an attorney listed with the
The Associated Press and KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon