The Sunflower Fire, which has burned nearly 18,000 acres of Arizona forest, was allegedly started by a bachelor party firing guns.
Steven Craig Shiflet, 23, from Mesa, Ariz., has been charged by a complaint in federal district court that a shotgun shell fired by him sparked the fire.
“He and four of his friends had traveled from Mesa to the Sycamore Creek area for a camp out and bachelor party on May 11 of this year,” said Bill Solomon with the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
According to a press release from the Forest Service, Shiflet and four friends were firing at targets on May 12 when Shiflet loaded an incendiary shotgun shell and fired it. Shortly after, the group of men saw smoke behind the area they were firing at.
The packaging of the shotgun shell warned of an extreme fire hazard, saying
flames would shoot 100 feet and burn everything in their path.
The men attempted to extinguish the flames.
Shiflet told investigators he called 911 from his cellphone to report the fire
and was told to leave the area.
Investigators tracked down the group through a license plate number on their
vehicle. The five men in the group, who were out camping for a bachelor party,
told nearly identical stories, authorities said.
Shiflet faces three charges, each of which carries a maximum penalty of six
months in prison and a $5,000 fine if he’s convicted. There was no answer at
potential phone listings for him and he did not have an attorney listed with the
The Associated Press and KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match