YUMA, Ariz. -— The federal government has awarded Yuma police
with enough grant money to hire eight more officers in the next three
That’s four more officers than the department thought they would be
able to get when they were applying for the grant from the U.S.
Department of Justice.
The Yuma Sun reports that the
department is receiving an estimated $1 million for the new officers.
Also, the Quechan Fish and Game Department has been awarded about
$97,000 to hire one new officer.
Grants from the Justice Department’s Community Oriented Policing
Services Hiring Program go directly to law enforcement agencies to
increase policing and crime prevention.
The city will be responsible for any costs over the $1 million to hire,
train and equip the eight new officers, a lengthy process that can take
up to a year.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas