A naked man in Scottsdale has caused two serious injury vehicle accidents, police said.
The first accident involved the suspect, whose car struck a convertible near Hayden and Via De Ventura Roads. The passenger of the other vehicle was ejected and has life-threatening injuries.
“The suspect that caused the collision got out of his car afterwards and stripped down naked and he hijacked a Toyota Prius,” said Scottsdale Police Sgt. Mark Clark. “He did this by pulling the female driver out of the car. She was injured, but not seriously.”
The suspect then drove away from the scene.
A short time later, the Prius driven by the suspect struck several vehicles near 90th Street and Shea Boulevard. Multiple serious injuries were sustained in this crash of about ten to 12 vehicles, a witness said.
“A naked man was thrown through the windshield of this Prius,” said witness James Maxwell. “[The suspect] landed in the dirt next to the road. He got up and immediately jumped on — I believe — a gray minivan, which slammed on the brakes and the crash continued.”
Maxwell said the naked man was also yelling strange things.
“He began to run around and scream, ‘The Indians are coming, the Indians are coming,'” said Maxwell.
Clark said there were four injured people in the second incident, including the suspect. A pregnant woman also broke both legs.
“The suspect, after collisions with multiple vehicles, got out of his car and attempted to carjack two other vehicles unsuccessfully,” said Clark. “We had an officer on the scene as this was going on who immediately took the suspect into custody without any further incident.”
Clark said there were reports that the suspect had an altered state of consciousness, but they were unsure what caused it. Authorities say the man was taken to a hospital Friday afternoon to be
evaluated for drug use or any mental issues.
The intersection of Hayden and Via De Ventura was closed along with Shea Boulevard between the Loop 101 and 92nd Street. Closures could be in effect until 8:00 p.m., police said.
The suspect’s name wasn’t immediately released. Police say he could face carjacking and
felony hit-and-run charges.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees