A naked man in Scottsdale has caused two serious injury vehicle accidents, police said.
The first accident involved the suspect, whose car struck a convertible near Hayden and Via De Ventura Roads. The passenger of the other vehicle was ejected and has life-threatening injuries.
“The suspect that caused the collision got out of his car afterwards and stripped down naked and he hijacked a Toyota Prius,” said Scottsdale Police Sgt. Mark Clark. “He did this by pulling the female driver out of the car. She was injured, but not seriously.”
The suspect then drove away from the scene.
A short time later, the Prius driven by the suspect struck several vehicles near 90th Street and Shea Boulevard. Multiple serious injuries were sustained in this crash of about ten to 12 vehicles, a witness said.
“A naked man was thrown through the windshield of this Prius,” said witness James Maxwell. “[The suspect] landed in the dirt next to the road. He got up and immediately jumped on — I believe — a gray minivan, which slammed on the brakes and the crash continued.”
Maxwell said the naked man was also yelling strange things.
“He began to run around and scream, ‘The Indians are coming, the Indians are coming,'” said Maxwell.
Clark said there were four injured people in the second incident, including the suspect. A pregnant woman also broke both legs.
“The suspect, after collisions with multiple vehicles, got out of his car and attempted to carjack two other vehicles unsuccessfully,” said Clark. “We had an officer on the scene as this was going on who immediately took the suspect into custody without any further incident.”
Clark said there were reports that the suspect had an altered state of consciousness, but they were unsure what caused it. Authorities say the man was taken to a hospital Friday afternoon to be
evaluated for drug use or any mental issues.
The intersection of Hayden and Via De Ventura was closed along with Shea Boulevard between the Loop 101 and 92nd Street. Closures could be in effect until 8:00 p.m., police said.
The suspect’s name wasn’t immediately released. Police say he could face carjacking and
felony hit-and-run charges.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food