An 11-year-old child was killed by a hit-and-run driver on
Friday, police said.
The child was struck near the intersection of Arizona
Avenue and Knox Road while traveling in a southbound lane.
The driver then fled the area.
“The driver of this vehicle hit the child,” said Chandler
Police Sgt. Joseph Farvazzo. “From what we understand,
[the driver] drove past the point of impact, stopped, got
out of the vehicle briefly and then left the scene.”
Arizona Avenue was closed southbound between Warner and
Ray Roads and was restricted northbound. It was fully
reopened around 5:00 p.m. Friday.
Police said they have found the suspect vehicle, a Dodge
Ram quad-cab pickup truck, near an apartment complex near
Alma School Road and Chandler Boulevard and questioned the
Authorities say 24-year-old Ronnie Chavez later returned
to the accident scene
with his father and was arrested.
The Chandler resident has been booked into a Maricopa
County jail on suspicion
of failure to stop for an accident involving death.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains