An 11-year-old child was killed by a hit-and-run driver on
Friday, police said.
The child was struck near the intersection of Arizona
Avenue and Knox Road while traveling in a southbound lane.
The driver then fled the area.
“The driver of this vehicle hit the child,” said Chandler
Police Sgt. Joseph Farvazzo. “From what we understand,
[the driver] drove past the point of impact, stopped, got
out of the vehicle briefly and then left the scene.”
Arizona Avenue was closed southbound between Warner and
Ray Roads and was restricted northbound. It was fully
reopened around 5:00 p.m. Friday.
Police said they have found the suspect vehicle, a Dodge
Ram quad-cab pickup truck, near an apartment complex near
Alma School Road and Chandler Boulevard and questioned the
Authorities say 24-year-old Ronnie Chavez later returned
to the accident scene
with his father and was arrested.
The Chandler resident has been booked into a Maricopa
County jail on suspicion
of failure to stop for an accident involving death.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development