PHOENIX — Just when Arizona’s economy is rebooting, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act will force the state’s small businesses to make tough decisions, said John Mathis with the Thunderbird School of Global Management.
Mathis said businesses with 50 employees or more will have to offer group health coverage. He believes many will trim staff to fall below the line.
“It depends on what type of small business it is but either way their growth is going to be stymied,” he said. “One [way] by the health care ceiling and two, getting the capital needed to substitute for labor.”
Mathis said America won’t truly know the full impact of the health care reform bill, commonly called Obamacare, until the presidential election is over. It will be felt globally, he predicted.
“[It’s] going to add to the European uncertainty and every other uncertainty that is now causing businesses and consumers to be cautious in terms of spending money,” he said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon