PHOENIX — Just when Arizona’s economy is rebooting, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act will force the state’s small businesses to make tough decisions, said John Mathis with the Thunderbird School of Global Management.
Mathis said businesses with 50 employees or more will have to offer group health coverage. He believes many will trim staff to fall below the line.
“It depends on what type of small business it is but either way their growth is going to be stymied,” he said. “One [way] by the health care ceiling and two, getting the capital needed to substitute for labor.”
Mathis said America won’t truly know the full impact of the health care reform bill, commonly called Obamacare, until the presidential election is over. It will be felt globally, he predicted.
“[It’s] going to add to the European uncertainty and every other uncertainty that is now causing businesses and consumers to be cautious in terms of spending money,” he said.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain