PHOENIX — A Paradise Valley man, who collapsed after he was convicted of deliberately burning
down his $3.5 million mansion in 2009, has died.
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Thursday found Michael
Marin, 53, guilty of arson of an occupied structure. He collapsed in court immediately after the verdict was read.
Marin was transported to a hospital and died shortly after.
Video from 3 TV allegedly shows Marin putting something in his mouth and collapsing shortly after.
“We do know that he did ingest something in the courtroom,” said Jeff Sprong with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. “When you go into the courts there, they do check you for weapons and all that, but there’s obviously going to be certain things — especially if it’s a small liquid that’s maybe on his body — that you can get through the metal detectors.”
Sprong said they are still investigating what substance Marin consumed.
Judge Bruce Cohen, who ruled in the case, ordered that no video footage be shown of Marin’s medical treatment.
Prosecutors said Marin would have faced up to nearly 16 years in prison if he was
Marin’s mansion burned down in July 2009. He told authorities he escaped the
blaze by climbing down a rope ladder while wearing a scuba tank and diving mask
to protect himself from the smoke.
Phoenix Fire Department investigators called it arson. Prosecutors claimed
Marin, a former Wall Street trader, set fire to his house because he could no longer pay the mortgage.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths