PHOENIX — A Paradise Valley man, who collapsed after he was convicted of deliberately burning
down his $3.5 million mansion in 2009, has died.
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Thursday found Michael
Marin, 53, guilty of arson of an occupied structure. He collapsed in court immediately after the verdict was read.
Marin was transported to a hospital and died shortly after.
Video from 3 TV allegedly shows Marin putting something in his mouth and collapsing shortly after.
“We do know that he did ingest something in the courtroom,” said Jeff Sprong with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. “When you go into the courts there, they do check you for weapons and all that, but there’s obviously going to be certain things — especially if it’s a small liquid that’s maybe on his body — that you can get through the metal detectors.”
Sprong said they are still investigating what substance Marin consumed.
Judge Bruce Cohen, who ruled in the case, ordered that no video footage be shown of Marin’s medical treatment.
Prosecutors said Marin would have faced up to nearly 16 years in prison if he was
Marin’s mansion burned down in July 2009. He told authorities he escaped the
blaze by climbing down a rope ladder while wearing a scuba tank and diving mask
to protect himself from the smoke.
Phoenix Fire Department investigators called it arson. Prosecutors claimed
Marin, a former Wall Street trader, set fire to his house because he could no longer pay the mortgage.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy