PHOENIX — A Paradise Valley man, who collapsed after he was convicted of deliberately burning
down his $3.5 million mansion in 2009, has died.
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Thursday found Michael
Marin, 53, guilty of arson of an occupied structure. He collapsed in court immediately after the verdict was read.
Marin was transported to a hospital and died shortly after.
Video from 3 TV allegedly shows Marin putting something in his mouth and collapsing shortly after.
“We do know that he did ingest something in the courtroom,” said Jeff Sprong with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. “When you go into the courts there, they do check you for weapons and all that, but there’s obviously going to be certain things — especially if it’s a small liquid that’s maybe on his body — that you can get through the metal detectors.”
Sprong said they are still investigating what substance Marin consumed.
Judge Bruce Cohen, who ruled in the case, ordered that no video footage be shown of Marin’s medical treatment.
Prosecutors said Marin would have faced up to nearly 16 years in prison if he was
Marin’s mansion burned down in July 2009. He told authorities he escaped the
blaze by climbing down a rope ladder while wearing a scuba tank and diving mask
to protect himself from the smoke.
Phoenix Fire Department investigators called it arson. Prosecutors claimed
Marin, a former Wall Street trader, set fire to his house because he could no longer pay the mortgage.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates